• Review: "The Good Soldier" by Ford Madox Ford

    , ,


    The Good Soldier: A Tale of Passion by Ford Madox Ford.1914. The Broadview Press, Edited by Kenneth Womack and William Baker. 2002

    "Ford's The Good Soldier is one of the fifteen or twenty greatest novels produced in English in our century" -back cover of 1951 Random House paperback edition

    I suppose there's something contrary in my personality that, when I read such puffery on the back of a book, I immediately assume the contrary: that the book is probably one of the fifteen of twenty most boring novels produced in our century. However, the list of authors who agree with the statement is impressive; William Carlos Williams, Louse Bogan, Allen Tate, Jean Stafford and Graham Greene. Their recommendation made me re-consider my instinctive reaction and coupled with finding a new, interesting edition of The Gold Soldier, I began reading this novel about a week ago.

    They were right. The Good Soldier is a masterful work of art. I don't think I've felt so deeply about a group of characters since reading Chekov for the first time. Written in 1914, on the eve of the Great War, Ford felt that it was his best book. After a period of time working as Joseph Conrad's assistant, he poured all that he had learned from that great author into a novel based partially on his own personal life. Initially greeted with little enthusiasm, it has come to be an important early work of modernism coming some 18 years before Joyce's Ulysses. I mention Joyce because Ford Maddox Ford has that same preoccupation with the contrast between appearances and reality; between convention and passion. This theme is at the heart of his novel.

    “The Good Soldier” (not Ford's choice for a title, he wanted “The Saddest Story”) tells the tale of two couples who, on the surface, seem to be "good people" who live lives of wealth and culture. Underneath, however, they are seething with lust, jealousy and guilt. In the hands of a less imaginative author, the story might have descended into melodrama. Ford wrote the novel in a style he calls "Impressionism", which is essentially a story composed of impressions and images of events rather than a literal description of events.

    In “The Good Soldier” the author's point of view is that of the main character, John Dowell, who is also the impotent husband in the ménage. What is impressive is the authors’ complete command of form and content; how each detail adds to the whole and how carefully he presents his characters as both caring and hateful people at the same time. This is the kind of novel that chapter by chapter becomes irresistible. By the end of the book, the story of these sad people is made even sadder since the author has so carefully crafted empathy for each character. You know why they act the way they do at the same time you wish they wouldn’t act that way. The tension between these two perceptions in the reader is delicious and deeply involving.

    If there are flaws in this masterpiece it would be that the author seems to share the masculine point of view. But then again the novel is like a hall of mirrors and the male narrator's own point of view is called into question throughout the novel. So, even the male narrator is flawed and unreliable. Another reason to think of this as a modernist novel – the flawed narrator is a major trope in modernist fiction.

    I urge you to read this brilliant novel. It’s not without it’s difficulties though and you’ll need a good edition with plenty of footnotes. I’ve chosen the edition produced by Canadian publisher, Broadview Press. Similar to the Norton Critical Editions, it includes a good introduction, chronologies (of the author and the events in the book), footnotes, essays and writings by Ford Madox Ford that help to shed light on the complexities of this subtle and beautiful book. Every item included in this edition is helpful and informative. However, I was disappointed not to see my favorite essay by Mark Schorer in the book. Titled “An Interpretation” it is the single most helpful essay I’ve read on the novel. Fortunately, it’s included as the introduction to the Random House/Vintage edition of “The Good Soldier” which is still currently in print.

    The design of the Broadview edition is very well done. I love the cover photo of “Miss Anderson” by turn-of-the-century photographer Alvin Langdon Coburn. Reminds me very much of the Lenora character in the novel. Her steely gaze from the cover photo stayed with me as an image for her. Perhaps that’s why I chose this particular edition.

    I’ve decided to create an audio book of “The Good Soldier”. I’ve begun reading the novel aloud for the Librivox.com site. I hope to make it available here at this site as well when it is completed in a month or so.

    17 comments → Review: "The Good Soldier" by Ford Madox Ford

    1. Anonymous said... 10:47 AM

      I've never read Ford Madox Ford but always kind of wanted to. Is this a good introduction to his work? Have you read anything else of his?

      Great review, by the way -

    2. Anonymous said... 11:27 AM

      On the basis of your review I'm going to check this out. Ford Madox Ford somehow got left out of my reading lists when I was in my 20s and devouring everything I could. I'm looking forward to the new experience -- and the old experience of reading fiction (having kids has reduced my reading intake to newspapers, news magazines and blogs over the past year, and I'm ready to plunge into a prose universe again... well, in 10 minute bursts before I turn out the light).

    3. Ella, thank you for your comments. I think this novel is as good as any to begin with. This is my first FMF, but It certainly won't be the last. According to the biography I'm currently reading ("Ford Madox Ford" by Alan Judd) the tetralogy called "Parade's End" is supposed to be his other great work. Something I didn't mention in my review was the fact that he started an influential journal called "The Transatlantic Review" which discovered D.H. Lawrence and published authors like Pound, Hemingway and Joyce.

      If it were me, I'd grab the Broadview or the Vintage edition and just dig in. The intial chapters are a bit choppy because of his "Impressionistic" style, but it's all calculated to drop down on you like a ton of bricks at the end.

      Tom: Definitely grab the Broadview edition. Some great poetry and essays by Ford that will enhance your enjoyment of the novel. I was thinking of your "Hog Island" as I was reading the novel. You should really enjoy this one.

      By the way, I've just completed Part 1,1 of the audio book I'm doing for Librivox.com. I'll be finished with the entire book by the end of March. I'll post each Part (there are four) as I finish them. I'm pleased with how it's turning out. Tom, you should definitely look into their site. How about reading Aristotle's Poetics? The Butcher & Lang translation is in the public domain and it's a short piece.......

    4. excellent. glad to see "the good soldier" reviewed -- fmf was the bomb in grad circles about 15 years ago, and then just fell out of sight. underappreciated master.

    5. Anonymous said... 9:28 AM

      firstly a couple of things in error from this otherwise excellent review; to refere to FMF as "Conrads assistant" is very misleading. the two were collaborators on 3 novels over the ten years of their literary intimacy and the workload pans out at about equal overall. Conrad was in ill health through alot of it and Ford was a constant source of encouragement to him as well as writing extended passages of Conrads own much praised novels ie Nostromo. FMF's reputation i feel has suffered from influential people in the literary world rubbishing this fact as being one of Fords notorious exaggerations. those who eventually come to love Ford will get much amusement and a little heartache from Fords wonderful claims, some true, some less than true but always worth thinking about. secondly, "the good soldier" was indeed published in 1914 (although Fords claims for the actual date and hour of this commencement cannot be wholly relied upon, see above)this makes it 8 years before the publication of Ulysses not 18 as in the review.
      the point about the weakness of the book being that it is written from the "masculine viewpoint" doesnt really hold up as Dowell is relating things only as he saw them not perhaps as they really were and certainly not from any other characters viewpoint. Ford was a consumate portrayer of women characters, having been very influenced by the french novelists especially maupassant and flaubert; it has been said that "the good soldier..." is "...the greatest french novel in the English language".
      finally, Ford published DH Lawrence, Pound, Sinclair Lewis, AE Coppard (the list goes on and on)and was the first to do so, in the English Review and Joyce,Hemingway etc in the Transatlantic Review a few years later. i am devoted to raising the profile of this wise, silly, funny, brilliant, subtle, immensely moving author.

    6. Thank you, anonymous, for your careful and thoughtful comments. My indication that FMF was an "assistant" came from several research articles and biographical sketches I've read. Apparently, I'm not the only one who regards him as working in the capacity of an assistant to Conrad. Considering your excellent comments, perhaps this relationship needs to be re-examined.

      About the "masculine point of view"; I think that simply because he was telling the events from his point of view doesn't disprove my assertion. FMF is a man and Dowell (also a man) is his proxy. From my understanding of his life, FMF suffered some in his relations with women and that he (like all great artists) incorporated some of this into his writing. I was trying to say that Dowell/FMF have narrowed viewpoints of women because of the times they live in and because they are men. As for FMF being a consumate writer of women, I haven't read enough of him to be confident of that statement. I'd like to read a major biography, so I can understand more about his life and works.

      The "18" years comment for Ulysses was a typo. I need to proofread my blog a little more carefully.

      He is a great, great writer and I can understand why you are devoted to him.

      PS I'm reading his book aloud as a project for librivox.org. Perhaps you'd like to do one of his other books? go to:

      http://wwww.librivox.org

    7. Anonymous said... 11:28 AM

      Thank you, booklad, for allowing me a voice on your blog. True enough that Dowell was writing from the male viewpoint but not a weakness in my opinion any more than a female author would be unable to draw convincing male characters. Although this is a great point to argue over accompanied by mixed gender company and a few glasses/bottles of wine. It pains me to read of Ford as being Conrads assistant, but being a devotee i have read worse insults, for example; Ernest Hemingway's macho, personal vulgarities aimed at the man who taught him so much (how like life!).
      I noticed a mistake in my post, it was Wyndham Lewis who was first published by Ford, not Sinclair Lewis (Fords recounting of his first meeting with Lewis is brilliantly funny).
      Please allow me to point you in the direction of some things in the Ford realm that would enjoy.
      "The Saddest Story" by Arthur Mizener - big biog of FMF from the 1950's well researched and authoritative, perceptive, good on the novels but one gets the impression Mizener's appreciation is somehow grudging.
      "Ford Madox Ford" by Alan Judd, from the early 1990's, is sure-footed on Ford and his work (Judd is a good novelist in his own
      right) he loves Ford, really gets to the heart of his man and is probably responsible for shaping my own view of FMF.
      "The Last Pre-Raphaelite" and "South Lodge" by Douglas Goldring - Goldring knew Ford very well and writes well about him and his unsurpassed editorship of those legendary reviews.
      "Drawn From Life" by Stella Bowen contains an excellent portait of our hero - Bowen lived with Ford for nearly ten years.
      I trawl the internet for books on Ford and through this method and from friends who, like me, are always nosing around dusty bookshops I have unearthed many a
      gem (books of essays, reviews, criticism etc).
      Finally, the work itself. the carcanet press are bringing out formerly hard-to-get works not just the famous ones, The Fifth Queen, Parades End, but the books of (unreliable?) reminiscence which give a great insight into Fords character. I thank you once again for this blog and your excellent review of "the good soldier" and can only say that an appreciation and a good aquaintance with his work will maintain and nourish your obvious love and devotion to good writing across the whole sphere of literature.

    8. I appreciate your comments. True, the "point of view" argument is really more interesting in a mixed-gender discussion rather than literary criticism. As I read more of his books, I'll certainly be considering this gender bias issue and will be open to changing my opinion.

      I've got the Judd bio and can't wait to read it. I'll copy the other books you mention in my journal. They look very juicy. Thanks for your recommendations.

      We've got a few of the Carcanet editions in the bookstore where I work and they are excellent, as you say. I've been mulling over which ones I should buy. The Braodview edition I used for "Good Soldier" has a healthy collection of essays and letters, plus a long bibliography. I'm so pleased to have such wonderful reading ahead of me!

      Be sure to head over to librivox.org. They have a very good system there for reading aloud books in the public domain. You can hear the first three chapters of Good Soldier there. I've finished recording all of Part I, but need to do some editing. Part II is being recorded next week. I hope to have the entire book read aloud by the end of May.

    9. Anonymous said... 8:41 PM

      a quick rejoinder;
      thanks for allowing me a voice on this subject, it still pains me to hear FMF described as conrads assistant - it is inaccurate and does a disservice to the relationship, conrad himself insisted on the word "collaborateur" - good enough for me. you are right about dowells point of view but how can this be a weakness? cannot women write incisively about men even though they do not share their genetic make-up? its an arguable point, but ford is such a wonderful portrayer of women in his books i would have to differ.
      you are reading Alan Judd's excellent biog so you will no doubt eventually come round on this point.
      further reading within fords sphere;
      "the saddest story" - A.Mizener.
      "the last pre-raphaelite" - D.Goldring.
      "south lodge" - D.Goldring.
      "drawn from life" - S.Bowen
      Apart from the major works of FMF; parades end, the good soldier, the fifth queen, i have thoroughly enjoyed his book of reminiscence "return to yesterday" (the episode with meary walker is heart wrenchingly human)and the astonishing "the march of literature"
      i cannot thank you enough for this opportunity to share my feelings about ford with all who use this blog. he is a very rewarding writer and i hope you continue to read and enjoy his work.

    10. I think you misunderstand my statment about Ford's masculine point of view. I'm saying that Ford is a man of his time (Turn of the Century) and of his place (England). Simply because he is a man does not keep him from writing beautifully about women. But reading some of his biography, I've discovered he has had problems with women all his life. And then when I read his portraits of women in "Good Soldier", while the characterizations are wonderful for the story he is telling, he seems to miss possibilities for the women characters to solve their problems without resorting to madness, suicide or shrewishness. All choices that male imaginations seem to take as a matter of course. Don't get me wrong, I admire his portraits. I'm saying that they might be a little narrow because of his personal masculine perspective. Of course, there can be debate on this issue. We just disagree. I'll be interested to see what my mind makes of the issue after reading the Judd.

      I appreciate your relisting the additional works on Ford, but I've got an extensive bibliography from the Broadview edition.

      As for Ford being the "assistant" to Conrad; I promise not to use the word "assistant" ever again in any biographical commentary about Ford. But...only if you promise me to go to librivox.org and volunteer to read something of Fords for their audiobook program. Otherwise, I might have to mention to every customer at my bookstore that Ford was Conrad's "assistant". (this is a terrible piece of blackmail, but you deserve it for not commenting on my librivox post...;-)

      Thanks for your spirited debate. It's refreshing to meet someone who is so passionate about an author. By the way, my name is Richard Grove...what's yours? (if you don't mind, of course)

    11. Anonymous said... 2:38 PM

      dear richard - its nice to personalise things, my name
      is tony - i have really enjoyed our banter about ford and have given your proposal about reading something from his works alot of thought. my main drawback is not having access to a good microphone which scuppers the whole idea does it not? if this could be overcome i'd read passages from "return to yesterday" but it would be a problem holding myself together when it came to meary walker, a peasant woman in her late 60's, saying to ford (28), who had helped her with a heavy load for at least a mile;
      "thanks meester, i'll do the same for you when you're my age"
      cue floods of tears.

    12. Yes, I understand, Tony. I had the same problem when I read a scene in GS where I was so touched it was hard to go on. But, in a way, it's ok to read it like that. You can read the passage again and just cut the teary one. Or, since the program is all volunteer and has the rough beauty of amateurs, leave it in. There was a long discussion in the librivox forums about this and most people felt you should just read it the way you want.

      Regarding a microphone. There are some very cheap ($25) USB mics that plug into your USB port on the computer. The sound is very good. Again, the forums at librivox.com have lots of threads about how to set up a little recording station for very little money. Most of the software if free.

      I think you really consider reading, Tony. I am the only person reading Ford right now. Having you reading his works would enable all kinds of people who ordinarily couldn't read (the blind especially) to have access to his works. Since you know them so well, you could pick out a collection of things, title it, and read it over several months. The site is very user friendly, non-profit and upbeat. Give it a try

      And, yes, I'm enjoying our banter as well. I'm glad you like my blog. I sure love books and it's nice to meet someone who shares that passion.

    13. Anonymous said... 12:15 PM

      ok Richard, you have convinced me.
      I will buy a USB mic, as you suggested, and I will gather together some of my favourite Ford passages for reading on the librivox site. I do not have a great reading voice or I would be a radio announcer here in England by now, but thats no real problem as I am clear enough. By the way, that reminds me of a typical Ford incident and I quote from Mizener's biog; "..due to the weakness of Fords voice through shortness of breath, a microphone was provided for the lecture at the University of Colorado. He lectured sitting down, paying no attention to the microphone in front of him; at one point a young woman jumped onto the platform and moved it closer to him, but he soon managed to get away from it again. The results were unfortunate; even those sitting on the platform could hear only a word or phrase here or there. The audience behaved with sympathy and respect, but about halfway through, little clusters of them began quietly to slip away until by the time Ford had finished, very few were left. Robert Lowell who was present at the lecture, thought more than the inability to hear was involved in the audiences behaviour. "i watched," he says, "an audience of three thousand walk out on him, as he exquisitely, ludicrously, and inaudibly imitated the elaborate periphrastic style of Henry James. they could neither hear nor sympathize."
      as i said, typically Ford.

    14. Glad to hear you'll do some Ford readings, that's great! Here is a link to a good microphone that you should be able to find in the UK (I assume that's where you live).

      http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=6776

      There is also a free downloadable audio program that is very easy to use called Audacity. You can get it here:

      http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

      I like your anecdote. Lowell is one of my favorite poets. Having him tell part of the story is very amusing. Ford always seemed to be such a character to me. I'm just about ready to start on the Judd bio. Looking forward to it.

      By the way, it probably would be easier to move our conversation over to regular email (if you don't mind). My email is rgrove@iliadbooks.com

      If you need help with getting your recording set up, just drop me a note and I'll be happy to lend a hand.

      Good luck!

    15. Anonymous said... 3:24 AM

      talk to you soon.
      HAPPY EASTER

    16. Thanks for all the fine comments re FMF.

      Regarding the association with Conrad, in "Collaborating with Conrad" Ford says, "That autumn I had a letter from Conrad asking that he might be allowed to collaborate with me in the novel about pirates...."

      The letter in question was received after their first meeting when Conrad visited Ford at his home. I find this reference on page 211 in "Your Mirror to My Times."

    17. Anonymous said... 7:26 PM

      Just recently finished The Good Soldier. I agree about the hype being off-putting, but in this case the book did not disappoint.
      I also felt uneasy about the male standpoint sometimes.
      It's worth reading - some flashes of humour. There are some other thoughts about it here http://wp.me/pDjed-Ao