• Z o l a : Our New Bookstore Cat!

    , ,


    Say hello to our new store cat: Zola! Since our previous store cats find it hard to travel from their home to our new bookstore location, we have been on the look-out for a live-in kitty to guard our store every night and to keep an eye out for book mice. Our friend, Christa Faust, works with animal rescue here in the Valley and she told us about a one-eyed cat she rescued from an abusive situation. We very much wanted to meet this cat and one day Christa brought her to the store (her vet is in the neighborhood) and everyone instantly fell in love with "Zola" (including all of the customers in the store at that time). It tooks some time to convince Dan, the owner of our store, that we needed a new store cat, but Lisa and I worked our special juju and just last week Christa brought Zola to stay for good.

    In the picture you can see her licking her chops from all of the special food we are giving her to fatten this little kitty up! She's about 2 years old and still has a tremor in her leg from the mistreatment she received, but she loves to play and is very affectionate to everyone who comes into the store. She's been at the Iliad for about a week now and has her own bed and play toys. She runs and runs down the long open stretch that goes down the middle of the store. Then in the afternoon she sleeps it off.

    We are so happy to have Zola with us. In spite of the abuse she has received, she's not shy at all. She's so curious and full of fun. I just love her. I call her "Zo".

    Isn't she wonderful!

    9 comments → Z o l a : Our New Bookstore Cat!

    1. She's lovely. I'm glad she's found a good home with you and the other Iliad folk.

    2. Nice cat. It's got character.

      Great blog, btw. I'll keep checking it.


      Jerry (you might remember me from the BoF board. :-) )

    3. Heya, Jerry. Yes, I remember you very well. Thanks a lot for your comments. We're trying to find a pirates outfit for Halloween, but haven't been able to come up with one yet. Have taken a few more photos and will update soon. Take care!

    4. IM said... 9:13 AM

      Zola is awesome. I love Maine Coon mixes! (I have four.) Maybe when I bring my kid to the store I should bring all my cats too? Just kidding.

      *kisses to Zola*

    5. Sure, bring your...er...cats to the store. Hope you can find them all when you leave though. Our store has so many interesting cubby-holes, they just might want to stay!

      Thanks, Ingrid, appreciate your comment.

    6. Yay Zola! I had a lot of misgivings about rescuing another cat when my own house is already full of beasties. I knew it would not be easy to find someone willing to give a one eyed cat a chance, but I am so glad I did. She's really special. Thanks for giving her a home.

    7. Beautiful cat! It is wonderful that you rescued a special cat needing a home. I wish I was in your area to visit your store, it sounds wonderful.

    8. Anonymous said... 12:24 PM

      Hi there

      I love Zola and so happy that she found a home with you nice people. She is like so many out there who have had a hard life at the hands of humans and that is why I wrote a book about the topic!
      Check it out at http://www.animalloversbook.com

      Happy for you Zola!!

    9. Thanks, Janelle, Christa and anonymous. Your thoughts are appreciated. The link to the animal rescue site and book are excellent. Thanks for contributing. Too many people around the world have such utter disregard for the welfare of animals. We should take it upon ourselves as civilized and decent people to take care of animals and respect them.